Monday, July 18, 2011

LA Love - Porto's Bakery

This past weekend, I went home. No matter how much I love living in Manhattan, Southern California will always be "home" for me. Something about the sunshine and the proximity to the beach, makes me realize that one day I'll eventually plant some roots there.


In a city often dismissed for not having great food, I've found a local gem. Located in Glendale (approximately 20 minutes from Downtown LA), Porto's Bakery & Cafe is the much needed diamond in the rough. My first introduction to this family-owned bakery was as an elementary school student. Back then, my Auntie would treat us to after school snacks of potato balls and beef pies made with luscious puff pastry. Now, as an adult, these two treats are my comfort food guilty-pleasures.




The potato balls consist of chorizo-spiced beef surrounded by a buttery layer of mashed potatoes. The ball is then rolled in bread crumbs and deep fried ($0.90). The outcome is a Latin-flavored croquette that's so tasty you can never stop at one. Fortunately, there are other baked delicacies like the guava and cream cheese rolls to tempt your palate.

Best New Finds:
Ham Croquette ($0.78)
Filled with ground ham, this tasty fried bit melts in your mouth. It reminds me of a pork McNugget!

                                                        Photo Courtesy of Porto's Bakery & Cafe Website




Gooseberry Cakes - chocolate ganache topped with fresh gooseberries!
  ---

Porto's Bakery has three locations: 

Porto’s Bakery Burbank 
3614 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91505
Mon-Sat 6:30am-7:30pm
Sunday 7:00am-5:30pm
(818) 846-9100  
 
Porto’s Bakery Downey 
8233 Firestone Bld
Downey, CA 90241
Mon-Thurs 7:00 am - 8:00 pm
Fri-Sat 7:00 am - 8:30 pm
Sunday 7:00 am- 6:00 pm   
(562) 862-8888 
 
Porto’s Bakery Glendale
315 N. Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91203
Mon-Sat 6.30am- 7:00pm
Sunday 7:00am-5:30pm 
(818) 956-5996  

No comments:

Post a Comment